Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The American Fish (lounge)

Visited 6/28/2010


I am never big on the western seafood cuisine. I believed seafood must be hot and only be steamed. Dressing should be minimal to reflect the original flavors of the freshness of the seafood. However, the latest Michael Mina establishment in City Center might just be the turning point for me.

I came across this restaurant while I await for the newest Cirque du Solei innovation "Viva Elvis". I have about 1.5 hour to spare so I thought venture into the American Fish's lounge area and sample Michael Mina's creations.

The interior is modern with a very calm vibe. It felt like you are in a mysterious lake side ready to reel in some fish. We only ordered some appetizers from the bar menu and a dessert.
($8 for each appetizer but if you are here from 5~7pm, the food is $5 a dish)






I have ordered the "Blue prawns baked in Sea salt" as well as the "Truffled Mac & Cheese" with two drinks "Suffering Bastard" and "Peach blow".


DSC_0357
The blue prawn is simply baked with a touch of sea salt. Then presented on top of pickled bits and aioli sauce brings out the sweetness of the shrimp completely. The sourness of the pickled bits harmonize with the juice from the shrimp making it a interesting combination.

The Mac and Cheese on the other hand is just superb. The creaminess of the cheese in combination truffle oil along with perfect tenderness of Mac. I have to say this just might be the best Mac and Cheese I have.

A meal is hardly complete with a desert. I thought we tried the Mascarpone Cheesecake.
DSC_0362
It looks very delicate and simple. Yet it delivered a shocking experience for me. The cheesecake melts away your whole body as soon as you take a little bite. The cheese cake taste almost like Amuse Bouche, very milky and soft. As my friend has commented that it might easily surpassed the famous cheese cake shop Eileen's in New York.

After the brief introduction to Michael Mina, I now think I have to make a trip to San Francisco for his legendary main restaurant which is rewarded 1 Michelin star.

Food: 25/30
Price: $30~$50
Interior: 25/30
Notes: Highly recommend as a quick hang out spot before events

No comments:

Post a Comment