Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Market by Jean Georges–Not at all the JG I expected

 

After the trip to NY, the one experience that is most forgettable is the lunch at JG.  I was feeling a little bit sick due to the harsh NY cold weather. But after the meal I was completely rejuvenated and spent the rest of the afternoon enjoy my time at the Met enjoying even further visual beauty.

Therefore, when I was informed that the latest establishment Shangrila has the Market inspired by JG. I was excited.  As I alluded to in earlier post that, this year the Dine out Vancouver coincided with the Chinese New Year. Using this opportunity when the whole family gathered at Vancouver, I booked Market By JG weeks in advance. When the days arrived, I am all pumped while reminiscing the adventure I had during the course of New York.

DSC_0570

As we arrived the restaurant (very very early), I see a really nice and elegant setup. The lounge area definitely makes you feel like a million buck. While the dining room is simple, elegant and to the point.  More or less to the JG’s taste.

DSC_0574

We are led to the balcony area. This glass surrounded balcony oversee the Thurlow street. I absolutely loved it. (For some reason, I have been getting really nice seat all through out the dine out events ~ lucky)

DSC_0569

My pictures at this location somehow is all out of focus. So please bear with me but I really want to share my experience with everyone.

DSC_0577

The bun – French dinner roll. It’s a roll. Nothing too surprising. I started to feel a bit antsy. Is it just like the Mercer Kitchen that it only has the name but no execution? But this time with price matching to Fine dining ?

DSC_0583DSC_0592

First course – salad. The shrimp is fresh, the sauce is tasty. Very good salad. The portion ~~ Meh.. The taste nothing to brag about.

First course choice 2 – tuna tar tar. Wonderfully displayed, and outstanding taste. The radish slice and the ginger sauce completely complement the tuna.

DSC_0587

I didn’t stay on the Dine out Menu because it looks a little bit boring. So I ordered the crab cake. This near 20 dollar crab cake has very nice fruity citrus sauce. The crab cake is on the soft side with nice smooth texture. Very very nice crab cake. I would like to say I liked it but sadly I don’t. Maybe it is due to the precedence of JG’s name. But I find the sauce a bit single tone with the citrus flavor too powering everything else. It almost feels like its covering the fishy smell of the crab.

DSC_0611

The main – Malaysian style Lingcod with Rice. The fish is very fresh and tasty with Asian flavored kick. But to be honest with the Chef around the world. Chinese never ever enjoy eating Chinese style food in a western restaurant. I never met one and I never heard of one. Even with the slight French twist to it, we still never enjoys it. Because we just think you didn’t do it properly HAHA. I am trying to dismiss the fish because it is wonderfully tender and flavorful. But still I hope I see no Chinese Ever in a French restaurant. The chili sauce is very common in the Asian community. I am confused by the execution. . . It was tasty but I am not thrilled with it.

DSC_0604

The while truffle pizza – This is what I come to Market for. I have heard many many good things about this. The pizza totally rocks! The pizza bread has godly aroma complemented by the white truffle oil. Now this is heaven.

DSC_0630DSC_0634

The deserts –

The ovaltine kulfi with caramelized banana and spiced milk chocolate sauce. The other Buttermilk panna cotta. Both are quite interesting to looked at. What I really really enjoyed is the discovery of the caramelized banana. It is such a fun dessert and its so healthy I will definitely try this at home.

But compared to the JG dessert that I had. Both of these dessert is like elementary grade compared to PHD. 

DSC_0375
(The most memorable dessert in my life at Jean Georges the Restaurant, NY)

The whole dine out experience is quite disappointing to me.  I really don’t like restaurant that cut short the chance they are gaining the opportunity to expose their ability. If the regular menu pizza is such a treat, I would expected the dine out menu to have the same execution.

It might take a while for me to find the courage again to enter venture once again.

Worth the drive? No. FIIIINE. YES! Maybe I expected too much. Or maybe the Canada strong exchange rate just killed everything.
Food 24/30
Service 21/30
Decoration 26/30

Market By Jean-Georges (Shangri-La Hotel) on Urbanspoon


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment