Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Oliver & Bonacini Cafe Grill–The Victory Breakfast.

 
DSC01563
May 31st, 2011. After 44 hours of driving, countless of foggy road, hitting the flood, snow block, I am finally back to Canadian Soil again. The air is just taste fresher for some reason. Probably because of the relieve. The road is yet again foggy, the fog has been around me through out the trip. There is only 2 hour left in driving after I passed the Sarnia border and pass by Lake Huron.  Sarnia is a good border to cross to avoid passing through city of Detroit, which many warned me about the safety issue. The scenery is back to the typical farm. What I have noticed is that the farm infrastructure in Ontario looks a lot nicer than say South Dakota.  But, I have no clue about the farming industry I just think they are prettier to look at.
At last, we arrived at the North York district of Greater Toronto District. North York is heavily populated by Asia immigrants, most of them are from Korea. I met up with the other RLs. As we ready for our self for the Victory Breakfast.  My road trip partner is a die hard egg fan. So I advised my brother to take me to the best brunch place in town. So here we are at Oliver & Bonacini Café Grill.  The restaurant chain is owned by obviously Peter Oliver and Michael Bonacini. The vision of restaurateur Peter Oliver is to served lunch better than any one else. With such great vision, I just can’t wait to see how the brunch will go.
 
SONY DSC
We are seated quickly after the reservation through OpenTable.  We were greeted by a upbeat server that tends to make a little bit too much joke. But, no matter this is the Victory breakfast. Nothing can really spoiled my mood. There are variety of daily special breakfast drink available, the fruit smoothies, and fresh juices are really really good. You can tell the fruit used are best of the quality, and the smoothies is blended finely so the texture was extra soothing.
Since this is an egg haunt, what is better than the Egg benedict? The salmon egg benedict with baked herbs potato. This is a definitely a great combination to start off your day. The salmon does not have enough flavour. It tasted to me like Norwegian salmon, I am kind of disappointed. The fat was not there and the flavour is missing. I meant this is great salmon for anywhere else in the world. But we are in Canada :( . (Maybe I am too spoiled by the west coast of abundance of salmon). The eggs was cooked very well. The hollandaise sauce is very light in taste which goes very balanced with everything else. The bake potato with herbs are very tasty. The potato is baked til with lightly crusted. The herbs are doing its job to bring out the flavour of the starch.
 
SONY DSC
The ham and spinach crepe is definitely a very fine dish. The wilted spinach and smoked ham really mixed well together with the combination of the thunder oak gouda. The gouda was surprisingly light in flavour, which is very refreshing in the morning. One down side is the crepe, I felt the crepe is a little bit crepe. In addition, the waiter let out a little secret when we want to exchange the smoke ham with smoke salmon. He said everything is premade because otherwise it would take too long. Really? Crepe? Too long? hmm… I don’t know I see lots of places make crepe right off the spot, the taste is just different when it is made freshly on the spot rather than reheat. For a upscale restaurant like this, I find that a little bit disappointing.
 
SONY DSC
I didn’t have the salad. But just a picture for reference. It does look delightful.
 
Oliver & Bonacini offers excellent brunch menu with unbeatable fresh fruit drink that can start your healthy weekend activity.  I really liked the ambience here. Hip and upscale. As for if it is the best brunch that is served, mmm, i have to say i am not agreeing. 
 
Worth the drive? Pick one in your neighborhood.
Food: 22/30
Ambience: 24/30
Service: 21/30
Price: $15~20 for Brunch.

Oliver & Bonacini Cafe Grill on Urbanspoon

View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment