Tuesday, April 26, 2011

C Restaurant–Superb Seafood execution with Amazing views.

 

I always hear raving reviews about C Restaurant about its exquisite seafood execution from papers, news and critics.  But no offense I never really believe in eating seafood in western style.  I feel that the execution lacks of creativity and often if it is done right I feel no difference than eating the live seafood at the best Chinese restaurant at freckle of the price or even at home.

2011 my family was in town for Chinese New Year and it coincided with the Dine Out Vancouver events.  Perfect combination!  This year I took the liberty of booking early on many dine out occasion.  I finally get to taste the controversial contemporary  C Restaurant.

The Restaurant is situated at the end of Howe Street which is right across Granville Island. If you are lucky and get a window table. Then you could enjoy the spectacular view of Fraser River and the gazing into Granville Island.

DSC_0651

The breads were first served in a basket carried by the waiter. There were at least 5 bread selection, which is what I always enjoyed, you get to pick a couple or just try them all. The breads were quite delicious with the butter. The picking bread procedure is quite standard in French restaurant, to be honest I have grown quite fond of it. In many cases restaurant sometimes only serve one types of bread. (What if I don’t like sourdough?)

 

DSC_0664

The dine out looks a little bit on the smaller portion size. So we have decided to see if the restaurant is up to speed with their freshness. This can be immediately observed with their oyster.  C Restaurant is big on sustainable seafood. (I have no idea what it is about). But I do know they are very big on local catches as well.  The kushi (well not local) were wonderfully processed, look at them glow on the ice.  By the way, KUSHI is the best tasting oyster EVER!!  I strongly recommend it for anyone who doesn’t like raw oyster. But for people that love oyster it sorta lacks of the SEA flavors.

DSC_0669

The first course is standard for the dine out menu – Oxtail consomme. (Dungeness Crab, Lemon Chorizo, Gremolata) The soup was served in a very fancy way. With the dry ingredient in the bowl, the server poured the soup into the bowl as he explains in fine details of the aroma and ingredient of the soup. The soup was the most elegant soup I have in Vancouver. Completely captured the essences of the Oxtail with nice mix flavours from the dry ingredient. The soup was not overpowering the taste buds, a very elegant way to start everyone’s appetite…

DSC_0674

The second course – Seared Trout. It was executed perfectly as how Japanese would have done it in Izakaya. The twist is lemon sauce and almond.  The fatty oil of the fish burst out as you bite the crunchy skin. The oil is why Japanese are so into Toro. I wouldn’t say the lemon and the almond goes perfectly with the fish. But it does give it a very nice interesting twist.

DSC_0687

I had the steak for main. I am not surprised that a such highly praised seafood restaurant did their steak to perfection. Nice rare in the middle with lots of flavours on the outside. The mash potato that was compliment the steak was done perfectly. Nice and silky mashed potato + steak = perfection.  The spot prawn on the top give it a nice delicately finish, a very elegant surf and turf.

DSC_0702

My brother and mother had the scallop with lobster addition. I am a little disappointed with the size of the lobster. After all it says HALF lobster. But oh well, this is an pricey fine dining restaurant with spectacular view. You kind of expected this. The scallop and lobster were very very fresh. This is also why I don’t like to go to fine dining for seafood, as long as the ingredient is fresh. It is really really hard to be surprised by lobster or scallop. (They are so easy to deal with). The most interesting item on the plate however is the crab apple. Basically it just make the plating looks so much interesting. I was told that it was a very nice treat as well. 

DSC_0712

My brother, who doesn’t enjoy raw oyster, was so impressed by KUSHI. He decided he wants more. However, they ran out of it. The server recommended Royal Miyagi which is cultured on the beach of British Columbia.  IT was light and clean with a kiwi like finish. But it is no kushi ><.

DSC_0728

Last but not least. The dessert – Dark Chocolate Brownie with Hot white chocolate. It is not a very fancy dessert. But I totally enjoyed it. The size was enough for people who is watching the weight and it hits the point. Nice dark chocolate brownie washed down by the sweeter hot white chocolate. It really goes together. Surprisingly, chocolate on top of chocolate was not overwhelming at all.

I really enjoyed this Dine Out experience. The service was pretty good through out except at the very end when the restaurant become crowded and busy. Then all is lost. We couldn’t find our server in 20 mins after we finish our dessert. But with the spectacular view in eyes..who cares…

DSC_0652

I am really surprised by the score at urbanspoon when I started writing my blog! The food was wonderfully executed. The totally expected the overpriced factor when there is view in play. I believed they really try to impress their customer even with the lower dollar set menu limits. That says, I never try their regular price item. Maybe it may very well be over priced. But hack what isn’t in Downtown dining these days~    

Notes: Perfectly executed food! Wonderful views and walkabout – Perfect for dates! Can be pricey on your pocket.
Worth the drive? Yes
Food: 26/30
Decoration: 25/30
Service: 21/30

Price: $60~$150


View Larger Map

C Restaurant on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment