Thursday, April 14, 2011

Nuba at Hasting–A wonderful exotic adventure

(中文版)

I am very adventurous when it comes to dining out. I like to experience cuisine from completely different culture. I remembered the time my good friend Will showed me a Ethiopian spot at downtown Toronto. It was quite interesting indeed. Never mind if the food was suiting my taste but the entire experience was totally inspiring.

Vancouver gets the diversity of food culture. However, when it comes to very rare cuisine, it is still lacking.  That’s why I am delighted to discover this hot spot Nuba, featuring Lebanese cuisine.

To be honest with you, I have no idea what to expect. But I am pumped up already.

I have been planning to go to this place for months. But there seems to be never a perfect timing, because I want to try a lot of things and it is hard to get a group of friend to go all the way to try this “unknown” art.

But as I was strolling along Granville street with a dear friend visiting the town, friend mentioned wanting to try something exotic. Hey! Why not Nuba~

Nuba is located at very sketchy neighborhood on hasty near Victory square. It is at the corner of W Hasting and Cambie. A mysterious door leads into a basement.

DSC_1373DSC_1398

The setting is simple but hip with dim lighting. I chose the back room sofa area. I absolutely love the setting. Hiding in hole in the wall and gazing out the dining room.

DSC_1379

They have very interesting local beer selection, most I rarely see. Blue Buck was great full of taste but very smooth. Hophead on the other hands is very strong in the taste of well obviously hop. Only if you really like a strong tasting beer.

Because it was just my friend and I, so we didn’t order too much.

The menu is very tapa ish heavy on the vegetable creation and grilled meat.

It seems like everybody has some kind of dipping on their table, it only means that hummus is a must!

The food came out almost too fast! The server was very attentive. (A little too attentive if I may say so)

DSC_1385DSC_1388

The hummus is absolutely shocking. Chickpea based with nice garlic aroma and a nice lemon finish. This may be the best hummus I have in years.

DSC_1391

The second dish was another nice surprise. lamb kibbeh sainieh aka lamb meat ball. Nice and moist lamb with spices that just take the breath out of you with spices that is hard to grasp.

DSC_1393

Lastly, I ordered the daily special. Seafood risotto with tomato sauce. The rice is on the chewy side(almost hard), so if you don’t like your rice hard (most Asian won’t), maybe just order the risotto if you are feeling adventurous. However, the taste is absolutely wonderful. The risotto completely taken the flavor of sea in. The finishing prawn on top completely it bring it over the top.

I am completely blown away by this trial experience. In fact I like it so much that I am going to have my birthday dinner here next week.

To be continue…

Worth the drive? YES!
Food 26/30
Service 24/30
Decoration 22/30


View Larger Map

Nuba (Hastings) on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment